Mole de Cacahuate, also known as Peanut Mole, is a traditional Mexican dish with a complex, nutty flavor that is perfect for any occasion. This rich and flavorful sauce is made with a combination of peanuts, chocolate, chiles, and other spices, creating a unique and delicious taste that is sure to impress. In this article, we will explore the history and origins of Mole de Cacahuate, as well as provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make the best Peanut Mole recipe.
History and Origins of Mole de Cacahuate
Mole de Cacahuate is a regional variation of the traditional Mexican mole sauce that is commonly found in the state of Puebla. This unique sauce is made with a variety of ingredients, including peanuts, sesame seeds, chocolate, chiles, and other spices, creating a rich and flavorful sauce that is perfect for any occasion. The origins of Mole de Cacahuate can be traced back to the Aztecs, who used a similar sauce in their cooking.
Over time, Mole de Cacahuate has become a staple in Mexican cuisine, with each region adding their own unique twist to the recipe. Today, there are countless variations of this dish, each with their own unique flavor profile.
The Best Mole de Cacahuate Recipe
- 2 cups roasted peanuts
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 dried ancho chiles, seeded and chopped
- 1 dried pasilla chile, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup Kixocolatl chocolate, grated
- In a dry skillet, toast the peanuts and sesame seeds until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped chiles and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken broth, tomato paste, brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, cinnamon, cumin, and salt to the pot. Stir to combine and bring to a simmer.
- Add the toasted peanuts and sesame seeds to the pot and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- In a blender or food processor, puree the sauce until smooth.
- Return the sauce to the pot and stir in the grated Kixocolatl chocolate.
- Simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce has thickened and the flavors have melded together.
Mole de Cacahuate is a versatile sauce that can be used in a variety of dishes. Traditionally, it is served over chicken or turkey, but it can also be used as a sauce for enchiladas, tamales, or even as a dipping sauce for tortilla chips.
For a simple and delicious meal, try serving Mole de Cacahuate over grilled chicken or roasted vegetables. Top with a sprinkle of chopped cilantro and a dollop of sour cream for added flavor and texture.
Mole de Cacahuate is a classic Mexican dish that is sure to impress. This rich and flavorful sauce is made with a combination of peanuts, chocolate, chiles, and other spices, creating a perfect blend of harmony.